Specialized centers with multi-disciplinary teams: A must in sarcomas!
What is a sarcoma centre?
Sarcomas are rare. It is therefore very important to find physicians who have experience with this disease. These are the criteria a sarcoma centre should fulfill:
- A multidisciplinary sarcoma medical team consisting of all specialties including surgical (orthopaedic, general, reconstructive), medical oncologists, radiation oncologists (radiotherapy), diagnostic radiologists, pathologists, oncology nurses and rehabilitation services.
- Access to thoracic surgical specialists (to treat lung metastases), intervention radiology (e.g. RFA), and genomic testing. Referral networks giving patients access to ILP (isolated limb perfusion) and proton beam therapy.
- Sarcoma conferences (e.g. Tumor Board), where sarcoma group members meet regularly to discuss patient care issues.
- Patient enrollment in clinical trials.
- Links to a sarcoma-oriented medical organization, such as the Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS).
- Publications concerning sarcoma in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong support personnel such as social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists.
- Sarcoma support group desired.
Where can I find a sarcoma centre?
SPAEN is in the process of setting up a list of sarcoma centers or centers with sarcoma expertise per country.
Please note: The criteria for sarcoma centers differ sometimes significantly from country to country. In many countries, no official certification process is in place or currently undergoing. Please also know, that this list does not claim to be exhaustive and is work in progress. If you cannot find a sarcoma center in your country, please get in touch with your national patient advocacy group.
(and New Zealand)
Please be aware that a significant number of centers are currently undergoing certification process and might not be listed yet!
Listed and provided by Rete Sarcoma Onlus
|Spain||CENTROS DE REFERENCIA (CSUR) /REFERRAL CENTERS (CSUR):
Services and Referral Sarcoma Unities for Children:
Other sarcoma unities:
Listed and provided by Swiss Sarcoma
Listed and provided by Sarcoma UK.
More to come!